The "J" visa is used for both foreign exchange student and visiting scholars doing research or academic activitivites in the United States. 

Although J-1 visa is frequently used by foreign exchange students coming to US universities, they are not designed to be used for "academic degree oriented" study programs or majors.

The principal alien is issued "J-1" visa and the spouse and child(ren) are issued "J-2" visa.

The most common problems with the "J" visa or status is the 2-year home country residence restriction which can be either served or waived.  

If you have a question about J-1, please provide us as much information as possible, especially if you are subject to this special restriction.  If you currently have a pending case with a receipt number please also provide it.  If you have a challenge from the USCIS either in form of a "Request for Evidence" (RFE) or "Intent to Deny" (ITD) or "Intent to Revoke" (ITR), please provide us either a copy of that challenge through email or fax (972-994-0088) so that we have a better understanding of the problems at issue.

You can email your inquiry to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. via fax to: 972-994-0088, and one of our experienced immigration attorneys will respond to your inquiries personally and promptly, usually within 24 hours, if not sooner.  Thank you.

Yu, South & Associates, Where YOU Matter the Most.